Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Going for a record here!

Third post in two days! OK, so this isn't actually me writing but I felt I needed to share this as I'm seeing little cloud wisps myself today!!! I'm feeling such joy that God is answering my prayers and this put it into words. I've been praying about my interactions with my children and today has started off great! (Wednesdays are non-school days). They woke up hugging and doing their chores and homework and I took time out to cuddle instead of stay on my stupid ravelry site. And on top of that, this is the third thing I've heard or read today about rain so it really caught my attention. I'll be meditating on that throughout the day. Withou further ado - this is what I wanted to share from today's Upper Room

Watching for God

Read 1 Kings 18:41-46

The seventh time [the servant] said, "Look, a little cloud no bigger than a person's head is rising out of the sea."

-1 Kings 18:44 (NRSV)

FOR three years Israel had been suffering from drought. When Elijah's servant scanned the parched land beneath a cloudless sky, he saw no sign of change. Yet Elijah, praying on Mt. Carmel, insisted rain was near. For the seventh time that day, his servant checked the horizon. When the servant spotted a wisp of cloud, Elijah saw the movement of God and bolted into action. The prophet needed little evidence of God's work because he already expected it.

Thinking about Elijah, I wondered, Would I have sent a storm warning to the king based on a single cloud puff? Not likely. I'd have waited for a mountainous thunderhead to blow in before proclaiming my faith that God was answering prayer. How many times have I overlooked God's handiwork around me because it seemed too small? When I pray about desperate situations, God's answer often begins in a subtle way: one kind word from a rude co-worker, one respectful answer from a difficult child, one night's deep sleep for a tired mind or body.

I want to be more like Elijah. I want to pray faithfully for God's help and readily recognize it when it arrives. The sooner I acknowledge God moving in my life, the sooner I will see change.

JoLynne Keough (California, USA)

Prayer
Dear God, show us your handiwork, both large and small. Help us declare your goodness to others. Amen.
Thought for the Day
A tiny change can signal the beginning of a miracle. Think small!

1 comment:

Eddie Jones said...

Rebecca, I'm trying to reach Jolynee Keough. I was impressed with her devotion in November's Upper Room and wanted to see if should would be interested in writing for ChristianDevotions.us. If you know Jolynee and can pass along my email address that'd be great. Thanks in advance.
Eddie Jones eddie@christiandevotions.us